On Tuesday, Chinese Foreign Minister Wang Yi called on the Philippines and members of the Association of South East Asian Nations to unite and stand together in resisting intervention of “non-regional forces” in the South China Sea disputes.
Without specifying any country, Wang Yi, who is on an official visit to Manila, warned that some forces are out to destabilize the condition in the area where he said pressures have de-escalated in recent months.
Wang said the structure for a code of conduct in the South China Sea was “taking shape” in discussions between China and ASEAN Countries.
Wang told a press conference, the fact shows to the world that China and ASEAN countries have full capacity and wisdom to handle disagreements between us and maintain stability in the South China Sea.
Wang insisted that external players don’t want to see stability in the South China Sea, adding that they need to stand together and say no to them together.
China owns almost the entire South China Sea, a vital shipping lane rich in mineral and marine resources. The Philippines, Brunei, Malaysia, Taiwan, and Vietnam have claims in the area.
The diplomat also said a shared development was the best choice in areas where there are overlapping maritime rights and concerns.
Cayetano stated the joint development was the next stage towards developing ties among the Philippines and China, which had been strained after the arbitral case was filed in The Hague by the previous administration.