From the offer and evaluation of Italian Maestrale Class Frigates… to a French frigate plan .. to a gossip of acquiring the decommissioned Oliver Hazard Perry-class frigate.. a South Korean defense manufacturer offer an Incheon Class Frigate variant and finally the Philippine Government decision to acquire two brand new multimission frigates that able to operate day and night. And with the remaining bidders; Navantia Sepi (RTR Ventures) of Spain, South Korean firms STX Offshore & Shipbuilding, Daewoo Shipbuilding & Marine Engineering Co. Ltd., and Hyundai Heavy Industries, Inc.;Garden Reach Shipbuilders & Engineers Ltd. of India and French company STX France SA
The ship must be able to handle up to 20 feet high waves and with an armament of:
- Minimum of 1 x 76mm primary naval Gun (installed at forward section) that can engage both air and surface targets
- Minimum of 1 stabilized secondary naval Gun for Close-in Weapon Systems
- (CIWS) ; both are integrated to a combat management system
- Minimum of 4 x cal.50 Heavy Machine Guns
- Surface to Surface Missile
- Surface to Air Missile
Surface to Air Missile System – shall be capable of launching missiles with a minimum quadruple launcher. Missiles must have a minimum range of
6 km (Missile Capacity – Minimum of ten rounds)
The torpedo provided should be able to operate at a depth from 22 meters up to 500 meters deep and a minimum range of 2,000 meters.
- Minimum of 6 rounds with 1 dummy – 3 each side of the vessel
Frigates must be equipped with:
- Air Search Radar – up to 150 km scanning range and able to detect sea skimming missiles.
- Surface Search Radar – The radar is primarily used for surface surveillance and acquisition and is capable of quickly detecting and accurately seeking out anti-ship missile threats at a minimum instrumented range design of up to 75 kilometers to allow fire control.
- Sound Navigation And Ranging (SONAR) – capable of detecting and engaging sub-surface threats in either passive or active modes. It must be able to operate in a minimum low frequency range and operate in shallow water environment. The sonar must be capable of directional search mode during active operation.
- Decoy Launching Systems – The decoy launching systems should be able to protect the ship from missiles and torpedoes
- Helicopter – able to accommodate at least one medium sized naval helicopter (10-tons) and a hangar
- Replenishment at Sea (RAS) Capability – allow the vessel to conduct replenishment at sea in accordance with Philippine Navy regulations.