Shortly after the awarding of three 3 Philippine Navy Helicopter, the Philippine Air Force immediately plan to acquire new attack helicopter. By June 2013, DND confirmed the acquisition of brand new attack helicopter.
In October 2013, AgustaWestland company won the bidding to supply 8 attack helicopters. Under the 3.44 billion contract price, the helicopter must have the following:
- equipped with rockets launchers
- equipped with two .50 caliber machine guns
- capable of navigating in bad weather
- able to operate day and night operations
- integrated logistics support package
- and should be delivered within 540 calendar days
In January 2015, 4 AW109E Power Helicopter arrive, 2 for the Philippine Navy and two for the Philippine Air Force. By August 2015, the two AW109E Power Helicopter together with 8 Canadian Bell 412EP CUH finally turned over to the Philippine Air force.